Coupons are a wonderful thing and locally we have 3 (soon 4- Walgreen's cannot open fast enoug) coupons friendly stores. Target, Rite Aid, and Price Chopper are very good at allowing customers to max. savings with coupons. Walmart is good too, but I hate everything about Walmart, so the potential savings high is ruined by my own negative feelings about the place. I do go in, but maybe 4 times a year AT MOST. If you love Walmart there are deals to be had, but for the most part I will not be sharing Walmart shopping tips.
Coupons alone will only get you so far. The secret to getting free product involves three things;
- Finding a Sale
- Locating a Coupon for the Sale Item
- Setting a Max. Out of Pocket price for items you use.
My favorite places to find printable coupons:
- http://www.afullcup.com/ (choose printable in the drop down menu. scroll through the alpha/numeric list and find a coupon for what YOU WANT TO BUY. Print and enjoy!)
- http://www.pricechopper.com/ (coupons from the coupon page can be used anywhere. Check every Thursday for their new Three Day sale promotion coupons)
- http://www.allyou.com/ (choose coupon link)
#3 is very subjective and everyone needs to set their own "to buy or not to buy" price. I will not pay more than:
- 99c for a box of cereal
- 25c for spaghetti sauce
- 50c for any kind of cleaner
- $1 a bottle for name brand laundry soap (All or Tide)
- 50c cake mix
- 25c brownie mixes
- Shaving Cream
- Buy Items when the price is rock bottom and buy lots of it. ( I have been known to bring home 32 boxes of cereal in a week when it is free. I have been known to buy 20 boxes of pasta when it is free.)
- I organize my lists and coupons before shopping.
- I avoid shopping right after work. When I am tired and stressed I do not save as much. I throw things like full priced cookies and junk food in the cart and I buy too many things that do not have a coupon).
- I rarely buy generic or store brands unless they are on sale. I can get name brand, high end for much cheaper with a coupon. This was not as easy before the advent of the internet coupon, but now it is reality!