Thursday, October 15, 2009

Return On Investment of Time

Money Saving Mom has a fantastic post today (CLICK HERE).  Her post and the Frugal In Virginia post  (CLICK HERE) she talks about are worth reading.

I don't have to look at too many leaves, branches, or roots on my family tree to find where the cheap gene comes from.  I can 100% without a shred of doubt isolate the source- My Grandpa Vinney.  My grandfather was the king of cheap, atleast when he considered the return investment to be high.  Yes, this is the same grandfather that bought me a school bus when I was 4.  A REAL Big Yellow school bus!  The summer I was 4 was the best summer of my life.  I lived and breathed school bus!  I could sit in the driver's seat and open the door.  I could turn on the flashing lights.  I could open the escape windows to set off an array of sound.  I could practice making my "emergency" exit out the back door.  How could he afford to buy me a bus? He got lucky and placed the highest "sealed bid" when the school district was thinning the fleet.  When the summer was over he quickly sold that golden beauty for a profit.  His small investment paid off in a fiscal sense, but the memories were worth more than any amount of money can buy.  My grandfather taught me a lot of valuable lessons. 

My grandfather was the first to pick up a discraded penny.  He happily collected "nickles" (aka dirty soda cans) on his daily walks (and tracked that revenue for years).  He saved pieces of twine & the net bags that onions come in.  He was always drying papertowels on the clothesline for re-use.  Ziplock bags had to have huge holes before they met the trash can.  For him the investment in time was worth the savings. 

He also taught me that some things were worth a good splurge.  A pristine Chevy always occupied his garage.  He bought good shoes and ate good cuts of meat.

I clip coupons and stockpile cleaners and food.  The time it takes me to save the $ I save is worth it.  Instead of a sparkling Chevy we have Little Tikes toys.  I buy papertowels on sale and throw each and every one in the trash.  And I would likely sell a kidney if it was the only way I could afford Gingerale.  The concept of Return of Investment of Time is very helpful in determining where to shop and where to buy.  Thank you Money Saving Mom for posting on this topic. You really Summed it up when you said "The frugal experience is about living better on less. If you miss the living better part, you’ve missed it entirely."

No comments:


MySavings: Free Samples, Free Stuff, Freebies and Coupons

Freeflys

freeflys

Amazon.com

Search This Blog